PREGNANCY MASSAGE IS A MODALITY OF DIPLOMA OF REMEDIAL MASSAGE (HLT50307)
OR CAN BE COMPLETED INDEPENDENTLY TO EARN CPE POINTS.
Designed for massage therapists who would like to feel confident massaging a pregnant client. The workshop aims to provide a solid theoretical background as well as useful and safe hands on skills to support pregnant women.
- Physiological, respiratory and circulatory changes of pregnancy (including Supine Hypertensive Syndrome), musculo-skeletal stresses and problems, hormonal production and its effects. Postural assessment.
- Appropriate massage and problems for each trimesters - correct positioning/massage sequences
- Fatigue, sciatica, nausea, pelvic pain, referred ligament pain, symphasis pubis dysfunction.
- Cautions/contra-indications-including Deep Vein Thrombosis, miscarriage threat, signs of pre-eclampsia/toxemia, and other conditions. Patient history taking, medical consent. Areas of precaution (reflex, shiatsu points)
- Benefits - effects on circulatory system (blood and lymph), reduction of oedema, prevention of varicose veins, stress reduction and benefits for baby, emotional support, reduction of muscular stresses, especially lower back and pelvic pain, preparation for labour and birth, pain relief during labour, post natal recovery.
- Students work using Therapeutic, Reflexology, Deep massage, Passive Movements, Lymphatic Drainage. Work in side-lying and semi-reclining position. Preparation for labour, massage during labour and post-natal work.
- Guidelines for use of essential oils. Bibliography and recommended reading.
- Useful stretches including postural work, pelvic tilts and pelvic floor exercises.
- Massage during pregnancy and birth, or teach Labour massage to partners/birth attendants.
Class Dates & Details
*See "Self Care"
No clinic required
|Pre-requisite||Certificate IV in Massage (HLT40302) or Certificate IV in Massage Therapy Practices (HLT40307 and HLT40312) or equivalent|
Letter of Attendance
|Bring To Class||Normal massage equipment plus 2 extra pillows|
Deposit $168 then full payment prior to commencement
- $98 enrolment fee if this is your first training with SIBT
*SELF CARE: It is highly recommended students arrive 30mins prior to course commencement to allow time for set up, stretching and relaxation exercises.